Introduction to RTMP
Real-Time Messaging Protocol (a.k.a. RTMP) is a set of rules that allows an encoder to transmit data to a content delivery network (CDNs); such as YouTube, Vimeo, and Facebook.
Verbit now utilizes RTMP Technology in order to forward media content; that is video and audio, and closed captions to a customer’s preferred Live Streaming platform, a.k.a. endpoint.
Image: High level End-to-End view of Verbit’s RTMP solution
Verbit’s RTMP Solution is injected between your media production unit and your intended streaming destination, a.k.a. the endpoint.
An RTMP connection will require a handshake; that is, an exchange of unique keys between the source and the destination of the data, to ensure that the data is pulled from and pushed to the correct locations on the internet.
Image: The exchange of keys between Verbit and the customer
Once the handshake/exchange of keys is completed between two points, an RTMP connection is created.
This connection can then be used to stream “messages” in the form of a video, audio, or captions, or a combination of these.
The end-to-end process may take 20 to 30 seconds to complete, which will delay the livestream by the same amount of time.
Supported Media Sources
Verbit uses a secured “write” RTMP URL, denoted by rtmps, for incoming media streams.
This layer of security is seamless for a number of media production and streaming softwares; such as:
- Zoom Live Stream
- Verbit-Zoom app
- OBS Studio
- Livestream Studio
These media softwares can connect seamlessly to Verbit’s RTMP server.
However, the secured connection may inhibit data ingest for a few media softwares; such as:
- Teradek VIDIU
- Livestream Studio v6
In case you will be streaming using one of these softwares, or any media software not included in the supported list, please reach out to your account manager or SUPPORT to run a test event with your media/IT team.
Verbit will process the streamed media for captioning, and deliver both media and captions to your selected livestreaming platform, a.k.a. endpoint; such as:
- Vimeo Live
- Youtube Live (configured for embedded CEA-608/708 captions)
- Verbit’s Broadcast Page (our in-house endpoint)
In case you will be streaming to a platform not included in the supported list, please reach out to your account manager or SUPPORT to run a test event with your media/IT team.
Additional Stream Configurations
Some standard stream configurations we support are:
- Video Resolution: 720p (customizable to 1080p)
- Framerate: 29.97 fps (customizable upto 60 fps)
- Bitrate: 2500 kbps (customizable upto 6000 kbps)
- Keyframe Interval: 2 secs
In case your stream will need higher bandwidth, i.e. 1080p at 60 fps, please reach out to your account manager or SUPPORT to run a test event with your media/IT team.
Booking an RTMP Session
- Login to Verbit as an admin
- Go to LIVE, then click BOOK NOW
- Set the TYPE OF SESSION to RTMP
- Set an event name in the MEETING NAME field
- Verify your timezone, then set the START TIME and END TIME
- In the RTMPS SERVER:
- Choose YES if you will be streaming to Verbit’s RTMP server (recommended)
- Choose NO if you have your own RTMP server we can pull the media from during the event and provide your RTMP server
- Copy the SOURCE STREAM URL
You will need to set this as the forwarding destination for your media production app
- Enter your endpoint’s stream information in the following fields:
- DESTINATION STREAM URL (required)
- DESTINATION STREAM KEY (required)
- DESTINATION STREAMING PAGE URL (optional but recommended)
- Captions mode can be left to ACCURATE
- In the EMAIL OF ADMIN field, enter the email of the person in-charge of streaming the media
- Add any relevant materials or terminologies to improve the accuracy
- Click BOOK THE SESSION
Image: The Booking Form showing the relevant RTMP information
Verbit’s Broadcast Page
We also have our own in-house livestreaming page that offers the same core functionality as other livestreaming platforms, such as Youtube Live or Vimeo Live.
Image: Verbit’s Broadcast Page
Our BROADCAST PAGE can serve as an endpoint for both the media and closed captions during your event.
Please reach out to your account manager or SUPPORT to enable the BROADCAST PAGE on your account.